Getting their child admitted to a good school is one of the most crucial decisions that a parent needs to make in their early years of parenting. After all, the school becomes the second home for a child. It is the school that marks a child’s first venture out into the social world, away from their immediate family. And there’s absolutely no denying that the school that one studies in makes a huge impact on what one grows up to be as an individual in the future. Having mentioned all of that, choosing the right school is not at all an easy task for parents.
Over the last few years, an increasing number of parents have considered and gone through with boarding school admissions for their children. Boarding schools, no wonder, have amassed quite a reputation, with boarding school admissions gradually being on the rise year after year. Shimla, especially, has registered considerable improvements when it comes to boarding school admissions.
Read on to learn more about boarding schools in Shimla.
What are boarding schools?
The term boarding schools, in a very literal sense, refers to schools that provide students with “room and board”. That is, boarding schools are schools where students reside on campus and are provided with living facilities in addition to equipping them with quality education.
Students in a boarding school are assigned dorms, which they share with other fellow students.
Why are Boarding Schools Popular in Shimla?
Shimla is one of the most popular places in India. Shimla, the capital city of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, is a popular tourist destination- all thanks to its breathtaking beauty. Did you know Shimla once held the honour of being the summer capital of India, back during the British era?
The picturesque scenery and serene surroundings of the city of Shimla draws in many people year after year. Thus, it is actually not at all surprising that many parents opt for Shimla when they are looking for boarding school admissions for their child.
Many scholars believe that it was the beautiful climactic conditions of Shimla that drove the British to establish several schools in this beautiful city. Most of the boarding schools in Shimla were established by the British and thus stand as proof of the marvellous British architecture.
The calm and serene atmosphere of the place is known to cater as the perfect learning environment. Plus, the peaceful atmosphere of Shimla is known to work wonders on the development of children, thus giving parents another reason to send their children to study in boarding schools in Shimla. The infrastructure in the boarding schools in Shimla is top-notch, making sure that children are provided with all necessities. Moreover, transportation is easily available in the city, as it is well-connected to other parts of the country by various means.
Advantages of Boarding Schools in Shimla
Below stated are some advantages of studying in boarding schools in Shimla that help throw light on the growing popularity of boarding school education.
- Boarding schools are known to instil essential life skills like discipline, punctuality and time management in their students.
- As students in a boarding school stay away from family, they learn to take care of themselves, thus acquiring traits such as maturity, responsibility and self-awareness.
- Teachers, in a boarding school, are available round the clock and can be contacted by students at any time of the day, even after regular school hours.
- Students in a boarding school undergo holistic development as they are under supervision 24X7, thus giving educators more time to focus on the development of students.
Different Types of Boarding Schools in Shimla
The boarding schools in Shimla are of different types. These boarding schools can be differentiated on several grounds. Here is a look at how the boarding schools in Shimla, and also boarding schools in India, can be differentiated from one another.
- On the basis of Operation: Boarding schools in Shimla, on the basis of operation, can be grouped under fully boarding, day boarding and weekly boarding schools. Most of the fully boarding schools in Shimla also allow the admission of students that seek admission as day scholars.
- On the basis of Affiliation: In Shimla, most of the boarding schools are affiliated with the Central Board of Secondary Education, i.e. CBSE. Other such popular affiliations of boarding schools in Shimla are ICSE, IB, IGCSE and so on.
- On the basis of Ownership: The boarding schools in Shimla can be further differentiated on the basis of ownership. This means that schools in Shimla can be further grouped under categories such as private boarding schools, international boarding schools, government boarding schools and convent boarding schools.
- .On the basis of Co-ed Status: Boarding schools across Shimla can be differentiated from one another on the basis of co-ed status. That is, boarding schools in Shimla can be divided into co-educational boarding schools, girls-only boarding schools and boys-only boarding schools.
How to Seek Admissions in Boarding Schools in Shimla?
Almost 80% of the parents applying for boarding school admissions are confused as to how they can proceed with the admission process of boarding schools. Well, there is not much to worry about as boarding school admissions procedures are more or less similar to the admission procedure followed in day schools. However, if you are still worried, here are a few tips that can guide you through the boarding school admission process in a smooth and effortless manner.
- First things first, browse through lists of boarding schools, draw comparisons and come up with a list of the boarding schools that interest you the most.
- Visit the websites of the boarding schools that interest you and note down all the relevant information that you can find about that particular school.
- Contacting the school directly is another way to gather information about the call. Direct contact through mail or phone call helps parents get a better perspective regarding boarding schools.
- Among the information that you seek about the school, make sure you make enquiries into the documents required for admission and also gain some intel on the complete admission process.
- Several of the boarding schools in Shimla conduct entrance tests for admission. Thus, one should make inquiries if the school that they are applying to holds any entrance tests and prepare accordingly.
When do Boarding School Admissions Start in Shimla?
The timeline of boarding school admissions in Shimla can be different in different boarding schools. While several boarding schools are open to admitting students around the year, several others do so only during the end of the year, around the months of October to December.
Similarly, the closing date of boarding school admissions in Shimla, too, differs from one boarding school to another. Thus, proper enquiries should be made about the boarding school that one is interested in to avoid confusion regarding the admission window.
Fee Structure of Boarding Schools in Shimla
The fee structure of boarding schools is different when compared to that of day schools. Boarding schools tend to be the costlier option out of the two as the facilities offered in a boarding school far outweigh those provided in a day school.
Boarding schools in Shimla have different fee structures, as they are all different from the others, and have different amenities to provide. The best boarding schools in Shimla can cost anywhere around Rs. 1,10,000 to Rs. 3,50,000 per year.
It can be rightly concluded that Shimla is a good option to consider if you are looking to get your child admitted to a boarding school. So, do not waste out on your precious time anymore and start applying to boarding schools in Shimla.